SS Dresden

Norddeutscher Lloyd (North German Lloyd) 1876-1934

'March 1889 was a red letter month for the South American service, as on the 11th the 4,536 ton MÜNCHEN started her maiden voyage from Bremen. She was one of the eight steel, triple-expansion-engined ships built by the Fairfield Company of Glasgow within a period of about two years. [...] The MÜNCHEN and her sister ship DRESDEN [...] carried 38 passengers in first class, 20 second and approximately 1,759 steerage.' 

DRESDEN: 4,527 gross tons, length 119.01 m x beam 14.23 m (390.5ft x 46.7ft), one funnel, two masts, single screw and a speed of 13 knots. Built by Fairfield Company of Glasgow and launched on 1 December 1888. On her maiden voyage (10 April 1889), she sailed from Bremen to Baltimore. On 30 December 1889, she went to the Bremen - South America service. Ran subsequently Bremen - Suez Canal - Australia; Bremen - New York and Bremen - Baltimore. Her last voyage was on 15 November 1902 from Bremen to South America (five round voyages). In 1903 she went to Houston Line and was renamed HELIUS and in 1904 went to Union Castle Line and was laid up. In 1906 she was sold to Turkey and was renamed 'Tirimujghian' and in 1914 was sunk by the Russians in the Black Sea.

Bonsor, N. R. P., South Atlantic Seaway, (Jersey Channel Islands: Brookside Publications, 1983) pp- 234-242.

Geraghty, Michael John, Argentina: Land of Broken Promises, in: Buenos Aires Herald (17 March 1999)

The Society for Irish Latin American Studies

 Copyright Information