1899 the AAFL decided to create the Second Division. At
that time the club had 42 members and registered its team
in this new category. 'There is said to be splendid
material for a good team of footballers, and no time will
be lost in getting practice started', The Standard
newspaper reported, on the topic of the Irish club
('Sport: Porteño A. C.', The Standard, 20 April
1899, p. 5). During its first official season Porteño
finished sixth out of nine participants and consisted of
the following players: H. Chopitea, G. Hearney, T.
Geoghegan, Torney, Laviaguerre y Rugeroni, Kenny,
McDonald, F. Geoghegan (Captain), Tyrell and E. Hearne.
The team was based in the district of Caballito. The
Standard reported in the same year:
Porteño Athletic Club is now preparing a grand
entertainment to take place in the Catholic Club of this
city next July. The saloon, through the influence of the
Porteño’s Hon. President Doctor O’Farrell, has been
generously granted by the Committee of the Catholic Club.
It will be a grand affair. (…) The object of the concert
is to get up funds to build a pavilion on the ground
occupied by the Club in Caballito and belonging to the
Table', The Standard, 28 July 1899, p. 6).
Alumni in 1903, including five
players from Lobos A.C. (Standing): Jorge Brown,
Patricio Dillon, Carlos Carr Brown, Juan McKechnie,
Carlos Buchanan, Ernesto Brown, and Roberto Rudd
(referee). (Seated): Walter Buchanan, Juan José Moore,
Andrés Mack, Spencer Leonard, and Eugenio Moore
Porteño remained in the Second Division until the 1907
season when it was promoted to the First Division. A major
achievement was garnered in 1911 when they ended the
season on top, defeating the powerful Alumni club by 2-1.
The following year a split occurred in the organisation of
Argentine football and two federations emerged as a
consequence. Porteño affiliated themselves to the
Federación Argentina de Football and were crowned
champions, however there were no longer any Irish surnames
on the Porteño team.
Common Characteristics of both Clubs
Throughout their history, both clubs shared common ground
in some aspects. Both the Lobos and Porteño clubs were
initiated to give priority to football, a sport which was
practiced in all English-speaking circles, both ignoring
cricket. In 1895, The Standard newspaper
tried without success to form a Hiberno-Argentine team of
cricket players to be called the ‘United Irish Team’ (UIT).
It was referred to ironically as ‘the Marylebone Cricket
Club of the Plate.’ It should be remembered that the
editors and publishers of the newspaper, the Irish Mulhall
brothers, showed great loyalty to the British Crown.
The Standard’s pages never contained news of
notices or statistics of the UIT, inviting the assumption
that the entire initiative failed, or that it was merely a
 In addition, in the summer of 1897-1898 the first
cricket championship was played in Buenos Aires, but
neither the Lobos nor Porteño were present.
 In the
particular case of Lobos, the club’s minutes of 1894
cricket season began in October when the weather got too
warm to continue playing football. This game, due to the
lack of excitement it affords to beginners, and the
excessive heat, did not take well, and after three or four
frail attempts, it was ultimately given up completely, and
to this day it has remained a dead letter.
Another particularity which distinguishes both clubs is
that each continues to exist up to the present day, yet
neither one can count among its members any
Hiberno-Argentines. The Lobos club celebrated 110 years of
existence in 2002. Its centennial trajectory did not
however mirror its auspicious beginnings. It never
returned to the First Division of Argentine Football
League, but it continues to participate in regional
leagues. Porteño, for its part, alternated between good
and bad seasons. The club continued to play in the
official Football League until 1929, when the concealed
professionalism of most of its rivals was impossible to
continue to deny. Ever faithful to the spirit of amateur
sport, the team made the decision to dissolve its ties
with the official leagues and to disband the team
The main sport of the club was in fact rugby and this
continues today; in 1932 it competed in the championships
of the Union of Rugby of Buenos Aires (URBA). It is a fact
worthy of note that in 1938 Porteño merged with
Sportive Française, a conjunction which resulted in
the incorporation of many families of French origin into
its ranks. Since its beginnings as a rugby team, the club
colours have been blue with sky-blue horizontal bands. It
was first based in Palermo, but the club’s history is
characterised by constant movement of locale. Its location
has changed nine times in total. From 1971 it has had its
grounds in the district of San Vicente, to the south of
the city of Buenos Aires.
Around 1910, the concealed professionalism or
‘shamateurism’ of Buenos Aires football began to rear its
head. At this point Anglo-Argentines ‘took refuge’ in the
leagues that were specifically for the schools or
companies of the British community, such as the railway
leagues. With the passing of the decades, English-speaking
sportsmen turned their attention to rugby or cricket, but
by this time Ireland had already become politically
divided. Now the club of choice for the Irish community in
Buenos Aires is the Hurling Club, founded on 22 August
TEA y DeporTEA, Buenos Aires
 The original
urban area began to extend towards the countryside. It
first expanded towards the south (Cañuelas, San Vicente,
Chascomús, Ranchos) and from the 1860s towards the west
(Mercedes, Suipacha, Carmen de Areco, Exaltación de la
Cruz, Luján, San Andrés de Giles), eventually advancing
beyond the frontier with the indigenous population (Rojas,
Chacabuco, 25 de Mayo, Bragado, Saladillo).
 The original
name of the team was the ‘English
High School’, but two years afterwards, the AAFL prevented
them from continuing to use that name and they became
known as ‘Alumni’.
 They were
champions of the Argentina Football Association (in
reality this was the league only for Buenos Aires) in the
years 1900, 1901, 1902, 1903, 1905, 1906, 1907, 1909, 1910
and 1911. Alumni were disbanded at the beginning of 1912.
 The Football
league of Salto, Bodas de Oro (Golden Jubilee), 1978. The
first president of the league was Juan J. Moore.
 There was no
mention of this game in The Standard, which in its
edition of 5 August 1895 devoted a great amount of space
to a game of rugby between a combined ‘England and
Ireland’ team versus a combined ‘Scotland and Wales’ team,
played in the district of Lomas de Zamora, Buenos Aires.
The ‘English/ Irish’ team was formed by Treacy, E. Robson,
F. Jacobs, H. Anderson, F. Chantrill, C. Holway, G. C.
Kennard, A. Jones, L. Jacobs, D. Hannay, C. Smiles, W.
Smiles, Smiles, Liversidge and R. Brooking. It should be
borne in mind that the English language press in Buenos
Aires was reluctant to publish policing matters involving
the English-speaking community.
 See for example, “Sport”,
The Standard, 29 February 1895, p. 7.
 Participating clubs were
Buenos Aires, Flores,
Lanús, Lomas and Palermo. The first cricket championships
were held under the auspices of the Buenos Aires Cricket
Club, in its role as custodian of the sport. La Asociación
del Cricket Argentino (Argentine Cricket Association) was
founded in 1912.
Bavio, Ernesto Alumni, cuna de campeones y escuela de
hidalguía (Buenos Aires: Editorial Difusión, 1951).
Jorge, personal archive (Buenos Aires).
- Graham-Yooll, Andrew. La colonia olvidada,
(Buenos Aires: Editorial Emecé, 2000).
- Korol, Juan Carlos and Sabato, Hilda. Cómo fue la
inmigración Irlandesa en Argentina (Buenos Aires:
Editorial Plus Ultra, 1981).
Athletic Club, Libro de Actas (Club minutes),
Diego Un hecho cumbre en la historia
pueblo argentino: en Lobos, hace 70 años, nace el deporte
Clarín (Buenos Aires), 2 July 1962, Sports Supplement
Edmundo Devenir irlandés (Buenos Aires: Editorial
Zino, Antonio, ‘25º aniversario de la fundación
del Club Atlético Porteño’
in Mister Bull (Buenos Aires), 31 July 1920.
Víctor. El origen británico
(Buenos Aires: Author’s edition, 2004).
Víctor Un pionero llamado Banfield (Buenos Aires:
Author’s edition,, 1999).
Carlos A., ‘Los pioneros
in La Arena 3 June 2001 (Santa Rosa, La Pampa).