The Irish American Cultural Institute (IACI) is now inviting applications for the IACI-NUI Galway Fellowship 2014-15. The fellowship provides an ideal opportunity to scholars normally resident in the United States who wish to spend a semester (not less than four months) at the Centre for Irish Studies, NUIG, and whose work relates to any aspect of Irish Studies. The Centre for Irish Studies is a designated Centre for Research Excellence at NUIG and details of current research and teaching programmes can be found here.
The stipend for the Fellowship is US$4,000. This includes transatlantic air transportation for the recipient.
NUI-Galway will provide the holder of the Fellowship with office accommodation, and with a number of privileges appropriate to the status of a visiting faculty member, e.g., access to some departmental secretarial and other facilities. The college will also advise the holder of various options for suitable accommodation.
The obligations and duties of the holder are as follows;
• During his/her residence, the holder is to give one faculty seminar on the subject of his/her research.
• During his/her residence, the holder is to be available for limited consultation with postgraduates in the appropriate discipline.
• Upon completion, the holder will be expected to provide a brief written report to the IACI Board of Directors, which may be published in the IACI’s newsletter, Dúċas.
• Any essay, book, or other presentation arising from Fellowship-funded research must carry a credit line identifying the IRISH AMERICAN CULTURAL INSTITUTE Visiting Fellowship in Irish Studies at National University Ireland-Galway.
• Upon completion of the semester, the holder will be expected to submit some part of Fellowship- funded research and writing for consideration by the editors of ÉIRE-IRELAND. (This is not to be construed as assurance of publication, however.)
• Upon return to United States, the holder may be asked to prepare and deliver a lecture based upon his/her research for an audience to be selected by the IACI.
The deadline for receipt of applications for the IACI-NUI Galway Fellowship 2015 is 28 February 2014.