Dictionary of Irish Latin American Biography

Heavy, Patricio (b.1885), landowner, was born on 18 December 1885, the first son and fourth child of Patrick Heavy (1839-1899) and María, née Iribarne (b.1859).

Patricio heavy owned an estancia in San Andrés de Giles, and donated the land to build the station of the Rural Tramway, which opened on 17 December 1892. Heavy donated 4.5 hectares to the director of the Central Buenos Aires, Federico Lacroze, to build the railway station. When the branch line closed by the railway, the Heavy family required from the company to return the land, and the station was adapted to residential house.

Edmundo Murray


- Coghlan, Eduardo A., Los Irlandeses en la Argentina: Su Actuación y Descendencia (Buenos Aires, 1987), p. 474.

- García, S., G. M. Leon, and H. R. Terrén, Efemerides Gilenses (San Andrés de Giles: Municipalidad de San Andrés de Giles, 1998). 

- Ministerio de Obras Públicas, Departamento de Investigación Histórica y Cartográfica, Dirección de Geodesia (Provincia de Buenos Aires). José Pedro Thill, May, 2002.

- Communications with Valeria and Agustín Heavy (May 2001).

Copyright © Society for Irish Latin American Studies

Online published: 1 February 2003
Edited: 07 May 2009

Murray, Edmundo, '
Heavy, Patricio (b.1885)' in "Irish Migration Studies in Latin America" November-December 2005 (


The Society for Irish Latin American Studies, 2005

 Copyright Information